2 Day Retreat- October 27-28
Embrace your curiosity and join artists Shannon Garson and Nanna Bayer for a luxurious weekend of creativity, imagination and feasting in the beautiful town of Maleny on the Sunshine Coast hinterland.
This retreat is a two day, hands on exploration of creativity through drawing ,and clay. The first day Nanna Bayer will take us through her impressionistic nerikomi technique. The focus on this course is to learn to use coloured clay for hand building techniques. We shall go through the colouring oxides and stains, and the use of different clays. the emphasis is on playfulness in the making of patterns. It is a fun and addictive process, and offers a broad range of possibility from minute control to unexpected surprises – the play with patterns is an endless game.
Saturday night we’ll all meet at Shannon’s old farmhouse in the small town of Maleny for a night of marvels, feasting, and music.
Shannon starts the second day with creative inspiration, getting your ideas to take flight through porcelain, drawing, colour, photography. A teabowl will serve as the initial inspiration, this small vessel is the conduit to wider ideas ranging from the importance of line, the true weight of volume, how to solve technical design issues in all mediums from textiles to painting, and what to do when you are at a creative dead end. You will learn techniques to bring drawing, pattern making, colour and texture to clay and make an exquisite porcelain teabowl of your own to take home.
Designed as creative boost for experienced artists in any field, germinate your ideas with a day in Maleny and an intense burst of inspiration.
If you can’t make it for the whole two days join us for the Saturday night dinner. Book Here:
This retreat includes:
- Saturday: hands on workshop with Nanna Bayer. Nanna teaches her amazing technique of “nerikomi “using slabs of coloured porcelain.
- Sunday: hands on workshop with Shannon Garson. This intimate workshop will explore surface techniques the can be used on a wide variety of ceramic vessels. What we are aiming for is a reflection of your own unique personality with all it’s complexity, in your final design! Suitable for all levels of experience. Each Creative Voyager gets an exquisite porcelain teabowl to decorate and take home.
- All materials for clay work.
- Saturday and Sunday homemade lunches, soups, salads and pies.
- Homemade cakes and biscuits and local cheeses, leaf tea in handmade teapots (of course!) and freshly ground coffee for morning and afternoon tea each day.
- Glorious dinner on Saturday night at Shannon’s house and studio in Maleny. 3 courses of delicious food with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients. There will be special guests including a jazz trio, all served on handmade tableware. Non alcoholic cordials and punch will be served.
Some important notes………..
- You can take it home the vessels you make to fire in your own kiln or Shannon can fire and post them you for an additional fee.
- We cater for vegetarians and gluten-free, unfortunately we are unable to handle specific dietary requirements, allergies or intolerances. If you would like to come but want to bring your own food please get in touch and we can arrange a price that excludes the meals.
- If you can’t make it to the retreat but can find someone to take your place bookings can be swapped but there will be no refunds for this retreat due to the planning and logistics involved.